Bollard accessories — including bollard caps, bollard sleeves and bollard wrap covers — shield bollards from water, temperature extremes and motor vehicles. This helps extend a bollard’s life and reduce the need for repeated maintenance. Learn more about bollard accessory options and the benefits of installing them.
Bollard Accessory Options and Types
Several types of bollard accessories are available to protect your property’s bollards from the elements and keep them looking fresh and new. Bollard covers slip over the entire length of the bollard, providing a protective barrier, while bollard caps fit tightly on the top of the bollard. Each type of accessory offers functional and aesthetic benefits:
Bollard caps measure 6 inches tall and come in 4 1/2-inch and 6.625-inch diameters. The caps slip onto the tops of pipe bollards and fit most standard sizes. Some reasons to install bollard caps include:
- Affordability: Bollard caps are budget-friendly. Installing the caps on existing bollards is often more cost-effective than having to repair or repaint the bollards regularly.
- High-quality materials: Bollard caps consist of weather-resistant and UV-resistant PVC vinyl. The UV treatment keeps the vinyl from fading or breaking down — even when exposed to sunlight each day.
- Various options: Bollard caps come in two diameters and a wide range of colors, from attention-grabbing yellow to neutral black. Other color choices include blue, green and red.
- Protection against wear: Bollard caps prevent water from pooling on top of the post and help keep trash out of posts. With bollard caps in place, the posts themselves are less likely to need paint touch-ups or other forms of maintenance.
- Visibility: Depending on the type you install, a bollard cap can make bollard posts easier for drivers to spot, particularly in dark or overcast conditions. If visibility is a concern, a brightly colored yellow cap might be a good choice.
- Vehicle protection: The vinyl material absorbs shocks, reducing damage to vehicles that drive into a bollard post.
Plastic bollard covers slip over the entire length of the post. They protect the post, as well as anything that might bump into it. Bollard covers can also help improve the visibility of the posts. A few benefits of installing bollard covers include:
- Form and function: Bollard covers marry form and function by protecting posts while looking attractive.
- Increased visibility: Depending on the bollard cover’s color, it can help make posts more visible in dark conditions or when the weather is overcast or foggy.
- Minimized wear and tear: Bollard covers are made from a material that is UV and weather resistant, so they protect bollard posts from rust and other types of wear and tear. They can also minimize damage to vehicles that bump into them.
- Reduced maintenance: With a bollard cover in place, the need to paint bollard posts or scrape rust from them is eliminated.
- Style options: Bollard covers are available in round or square shapes and come in a range of sizes. Materials include high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and fabric.
Bollard Wrap Covers
A bollard wrap cover encases the entire bollard post. It protects the post from rain, sun and other weather conditions while letting you send a message to customers. Bollard wrap covers can be printed with designs or words to help you advertise your business. Some of the benefits of bollard wrap covers include:
- Space for promotional or directional information: You can choose bollard wrap covers that have words printed on them, such as “Car Wash” or “ATM Inside” to share information with potential customers quickly and easily. You can also use the wrap covers to promote a sale or to direct people to the right location.
- Holiday or event-specific: Bollard wrap covers let you add a festive touch to your parking area or the exterior of your building. You can slip an American flag-printed cover over the bollard posts to celebrate the Fourth of July or Memorial Day, for example.
- Increased visibility: Like other types of bollard covers, bollard wrap covers can make the posts more visible, reducing the chance someone will bump into them in dark or cloudy conditions.
- Protection from the elements: Bollard wrap covers shield bollard posts from rain, sun and other elements, reducing the need for regular maintenance and extending the life of the bollards.
Material Options for Bollard Accessories
Bollard covers and caps can be made from various materials, including:
- HDPE: HDPE is a high-quality plastic that comes in a range of colors and styles. As a waterproof material, it can keep bollard posts from rusting and being otherwise damaged by rain or wet conditions. HDPE also protects the bollard posts from the sun’s UV rays.
- PVC vinyl: PVC is another type of high-quality plastic that protects bollard posts from moisture and UV light. PVC vinyl is a soft material that can absorb shocks, reducing scrapes, scratches and other types of damage to vehicles that hit or bump it.
- Cast iron decorative covers: When form matters, cast iron decorative covers can be the right choice. The decorative covers can match a building’s aesthetic while offering functional benefits, such as protecting the bollard post from wear and tear.
- Stainless steel covers: Stainless steel resists corrosion and rust and looks good. When the goal is to create a sleek and sophisticated aesthetic, stainless steel bollard covers can be the appropriate choice.
Benefits Of Bollard Accessories
If a bollard is designed to exist in the elements, you might wonder if there’s a need to accessorize it. Bollard accessories can give you peace of mind that the posts installed on your property will have a long life, with little attention from you. Benefits of bollard covers and caps include:
- Protection from the elements: Small amounts of sun, rain and wind won’t do much to wear down or harm bollard posts. But many bollard posts are outdoors 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. They don’t get much protection from the elements unless you fit them with a protective cap or cover. Minimizing their exposure to the wind, rain and other weather conditions can make your bollards last longer and create less work for you.
- Reduced painting or maintenance: When you cover a bollard or put a cap on it, you reduce the need to maintain the post. If you’ve been painting your bollard posts seasonally or annually, covering them can help you cut back, saving time and money in the long run.
- Enhanced aesthetics: Bollard accessories can ensure your property remains aesthetically pleasing, whether you choose a decorative cover that matches your building’s design and architecture or choose a plastic cover that adds a pop of color to neutral bollard posts.
- Protection for vehicles: If a vehicle bumps into a post that’s encased in a soft plastic cover, it’s less likely to end up scratched or dented. Covering bollard posts means lower costs to drivers who might bump into them. The covers can also protect the posts themselves from the impact of a collision, reducing damage.
- Conveying information: A bollard wrap cover lets you get a message out to anyone who drives by. What that message says is up to you. It can be anything from “Turn Here” to “Car Wash’.”
- Extending bollards’ life: When a bollard post is protected from impacts, rain, sun and other elements, it’s going to last longer than one that’s left uncovered.
How Do I Choose the Right Cover or Cap?
What type of bollard accessory is right for your posts? Whether you choose covers or caps, there are some things to consider.
- Aesthetics: Aesthetic goals play a big part in determining the best type of accessories. If you want your bollards to match a sleek, contemporary building, a stainless steel cover might be the right option. If you’re going for something more playful and fun, HDPE covers in a rainbow of colors might be a good pick.
- Cost: Remember your budget when choosing a cap or cover for your bollards. When reviewing the cost of the covers or caps, also keep in mind how much you can save by installing them. You might be able to eliminate annual paint jobs or deep cleanings, which can help make the accessories even more affordable.
- Bollard location: Think about where the bollards are when choosing accessories for them. If they are in an area that’s dark and needs more visibility, it makes sense to choose a bright cap or cover. If the bollards are in front of your property or can be seen easily from the street, you might want to choose a wrap cover with a message on it to encourage people to stop in.
- Goals: Do you see your bollards as an opportunity to share a message or promote your business? Is your primary concern safety, protecting pedestrians and cyclists, or guiding motor vehicles through tight areas? Visibility is another safety concern to consider. If your goal is to make the bollard posts easier to see in all conditions, you might focus on the covers or caps’ color more than other details.
Accessorize Your Bollards With Blockaides today.
Blockaides can help you pick the accessories that will serve you best, whether your goal is to protect your bollards from rain or sun or use the posts to promote your business. We offer bollard accessories, including caps, plastic covers and wrap covers. To learn more about our accessories and choose the items that work best for you, contact us today.